9.22.2010

"He says, 'This is he."

Day 1
Bottle Rocket (short)
1994


I had intended to limit this blog to full-length feature films, but there's no way to talk about Luke Wilson's career at all without mentioning the Bottle Rocket short film. It is the beginning! Plus, I'm not sure there's really anything I don't love about this film.

A mere 13 minutes long, it's a great little story of three friends setting up, training for, and pulling off their first heist. I'm sure the film is in black and white simply for the sake of money, but that trait coupled with the awesome jazz soundtrack makes for a great old-fashioned "heist" atmosphere.

And even with my untrained eyes, I don't think it's too hard to see why Wes Anderson eventually became THE Wes Anderson that he is today. Props to Owen Wilson as well for his contributions in co-writing the screenplay with Anderson. The dialogue literally makes me laugh out loud.

And the characters! Even as underdeveloped as they are in such a short piece, they are none the less endearing and memorable. (The gun salesman is especially fun). But perhaps I give it too much credit, having watched the full-length version inspired by this short several times before ever having seen the short.

Either way, I adore Bottle Rocket.

Even just the very notion of a couple friends/brothers getting together and actually making a movie...call me what you will, but I find it inspiring to say the least.


MERE'S OFFICIAL RATING: 5 out of 5 stars
An excellent first effort!

Next up...
Bottle Rocket (full-length)

(A big thank you to Matt for letting me borrow his Criterion copy with the short and full-length films!)

1 comment:

  1. Brava my dear!! Excellent start! Can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete