11.17.2010

"I wish they put something in the poo so it glowed in the dark."

Day 57
Dog Park
1998


Hey sports fans! Sorry it's been a while. Ever since little miss Ellie-B came in to the world a couple weeks ago, things have been a little more busy than usual. She is probably the world's most adorable niece, though, so I can't complain. : ) Can't wait to watch her grow up!!!

Ok, back to the blog.

Dog Park.

Ohhh, Dog Park.

This movie is to me as Gigli seems to be to a lot of people. (I still haven't seen that one.) It may be one of the worst movies ever. It's like someone watched a mid-90s romantic comedy one day and thought, "Hey! I could do that!". No, sir. No, you cannot. It feels like all the elements are there for a quirky 90s-era date flick, but they truly fall flat.

The most glaring example is the title/setting. To me, a dog park seems like a great setting for comedy. There's so much potential and it's a unique location that I don't think has really been overused in this genre.

All of the plot synopsises of this movie I read beforehand, however, seemed to incorrectly give undue weight to the dog park in this movie. In actuality, it always just seemed more like an aside. Like "filler." Like, maybe some afterthought to help make the title seem more fitting? It just seems to me that if you're going to name the movie after it, it should maybe be a bit more of a focal point, something that truly affects the plot.

And the dogs just seem...unnatural. Not really even for a good or witty, metaphorical purpose, and certainly not in any terribly crucial or meaningful way regarding the plot. More like animate furniture, who occasionally make an appearance in the background.

Regardless, the main dog, Mr. Mogley, is adorable, which almost makes up for something. He is easily one of my favorite characters of the film, second only to his "pet therapist."

The therapist is constantly dumbfounded by people, berating everyone, including his children, for not understanding, or being more like dogs. ("They are not our children; they're better.") It might have been better, had he been played by say...Will Ferrel, but he at least ups the comedy level considerably in this movie.

As does Callum, (Harland Williams), who you might remember best from a little classic called Dumb and Dumber. ("Tic-Tac, sir?)

Anyways, if nothing else, it can certainly be said that this movie is missing the following:
  1. An interesting plot. Truly just a believable plot in general. As Andy (Luke Wilson) says, "It's like hitting on a waitress. It's just so obvious."
  2. Hair. The very lovely Natasha Henstridge is in desperate need of hair.
  3. A good script. Some witty banter. ("Will you crack my neck?" --What?!?!?!?!) Maybe just some chemistry. Somewhere. Something that might actually make me care a little bit. I realize Bruce McCulloch wrote for Kids in the Hall and SNL, but I'm not sold, buddy. You've got some decent one-liners, but that opening monologue?! It is just painful. : ( I won't lay that all on you, though, Mr. McCulloch. Maybe if you had some different actors? Maybe? Maybe. (Sorry, Mr. Wilson!)
I will say one positive thing about this movie; the DVD menu did NOT loop the music! Just one and done. Thank you for that.

MERE'S OFFICIAL RATING: 1 OUT OF 5 STARS
A sandwich might deliver better dialogue.





Up Next... Home Fries

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie is awesome; She's definitely better than this movie! As soon as you find a good Luke Wilson movie, feel free to bring it over for a viewing party with my "new born baby girl" (thank you for that one Tiffany)!

    Side note: I'll provide the sandwich's if you bring in a movie worth at least a 4. I don't ask for much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, Dog Park. My source for all information about singles bars, dogs, and, of course, love. Never break the chain!

    ReplyDelete