11.01.2010

"He doesn't even play ball."

Day 41
Telling Lies in America

1997


I've finally had the chance to catch up on that one we missed, Telling Lies in America.

Honestly, I can really only say I'm glad I watched it in the sense that otherwise my challenge would have been incomplete. Beyond that, I think I could have lived without seeing Kevin Bacon slinking around as a sleazy 1960's radio disc jockey. In his defense, he played the role all too well.

The highlight of the entire film for me, truly, was probably the whole 3 minutes of screen time given to Jonathon Rhys Meyers. What a loooovely lad.

Otherwise, the movie didn't do much for me. I didn't really even like any of the characters. Not even the protagonist, Karchy (Brad Renfro). He's just pretty misguided and a little sleazy at best. Kevin Bacon's character is even sleazier. Calista Flockhart's "Diney" is just plain weird and drab. I mean, you sort of feel bad for all of them, but it's fairly hard to want good things for any of them. You just sort of hope the movie will end soon and you can push it all out of your mind quickly thereafter. It lacks the wit or humor or the something that it desperately needs to really be watchable.

Mr. Wilson's character is about as loath-able as the rest, too, playing Karchy's straight-laced, hard-ass of a boss. Again, even if he is playing by the rules, you really don't like him any more for it. (Killer glasses though!)

It's all pretty formulaic, predictable, and bland. Basically, it's a movie devoid of any really entertaining qualities in this girl's mind. I do not recommend it.


MERE'S OFFICIAL RATING: 2 out of 5 stars.
You could probably step out for a sandwich mid-movie...


Up Next...
Dog Park
1998

No comments:

Post a Comment