10.25.2010

"Why won't you let me touch you?"

Day 34
Scream 2

1997


Ok, so before I get started on Scream 2, here are some updates:

1) Telling Lies in America is not available to physically rent from Netflix, but at the moment, it is available to "Watch Instantly." I'm more than happy to do this, however...

2) Dell has again, for the second time now, delayed the estimated delivery date of my new laptop. And as much as I'd love to sit at my uncomfortable desk and watch an entire feature-length film (no!), I think I'm just going to wait until I have my laptop...

3) Also, this past week/end I watched Clint Eastwood's first big Western, Fistful of Dollars, as well as his last, Unforgiven. I've heard Luke Wilson is a big Clint Eastwood fan, and I can now see why...Which is really just to say, I can see why I really liked these movies, so I could understand why anyone else might, too! They're pretty damn entertaining. I plan to at least watch For a Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, and probably one more before it's all said and done. We only had time to watch just a few clips of each of these films when I took Wilmott's Intro to Film class and I've been wanting to watch the full films ever since.

4) Ok, and lastly, just because this is my blog and because I can, I would also like to tell you that I had the chance to see Blitzen Trapper and The Walkmen live within the past couple weeks and they were both amazing. I highly recommend checking out both!



Alright. On to Scream 2....

First of all, I either need to a) not drink with Jenna while watching these movies and/or b) take better notes. : ) Let's see if I can't make sense of what I've got written down here...

I have to admit--I do not like "scary movies." Horror has to be my very least favorite genre of film. With all the very real, very scary things in the world, it never made much sense to me that a scary movie would even really be necessary.

But there does seem to be that sub-genre of horror film. The one that is able to poke fun at the entire concept of a scary movie while still being one itself. Not unlike Scream. At any rate, I've always had a soft spot for Scream. The slashing and the screaming aside, these movies were always more about suspense, plot twist and even a good deal of humor rather than actual "horror."

Randy (Jamie Kennedy, again) is probably my favorite Scream character, in Scream 2 especially, for these very reasons. Being the horror film aficionado, Randy breaks it all down for the viewer; the cliches, the "rules," all the ins-and-outs of surviving a horror flick. And he and Dewey (David Arquette) together make for a very entertaining pair in Scream 2.

Luke Wilson's character also literally had me laughing out loud. He plays Billy Loomis (for maybe 30 seconds) in Stab, the fictional movie based on the Woodsboro serial killings of the first Scream. Basically he plays Skeet Ulrich. It's excellent and surprisingly, it really made me want to watch the first Scream all over again.

Watching Scream 2, I found I was really in need of a Scream refresher-course altogether. This film was what I had remembered as being Scream 3. Now I wonder what actually does happen in the third film! I can't even begin to remember it....And as I said, I'd really just sort of like to watch the first one again. For nostalgia's sake. Heck, even just for Matthew Lillard's sake! (I loved Stu!)

Perhaps for the sake of the upcoming Scream 4 I can organize a Scream-marathon watch party? Anyone? Yes? : )

If nothing else, watching this movie definitely felt like a little time-trip, way back to the 90s. The characters in the film even joke about things being too "90s!". If nothing else, it was a fun flashback to upper elementary school, watching movies in my friend Heather's basement.


MERE'S OFFICIAL RATING: 3 OUT OF 5 STARS
So 90's. In a good way.
(Sandwiches welcome...well, unless blood makes you squeamish!)




Up next...
Dog Park

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha I'm definitely in for the Scream-marathon. Definitely NOT in for Dog Park. :) I bet you'll take some epic notes on this one! Can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete